Grace Lutheran History
The story of Grace Lutheran Church is a story of God’s grace. In the early 1920s several families of German Lutheran heritage settled on farms outside the little town of Midland. In time they arranged for a visiting pastor to conduct services in the farmers’ homes on an occasional basis. As more Lutherans came to the area, Rev. W.G. Buchschacher from Big Spring conducted regular Sunday afternoon Lutheran services in the First Presbyterian Church.
By 1930 the group consisted of fifteen communicant members and a total of twenty-six souls. After one Sunday afternoon service, the minister asked the congregation to remain for a meeting. He suggested the group formally organize a church. The idea was met with enthusiasm, and after a brief discussion, it was resolved to do so. It was also decided that the eligible voters meet at the home of Gerhard Synatschk that very evening.
Gathered around a kitchen table and working by the light of a kerosene lamp the five charter members reviewed a sample church constitution provided by Pastor Buchschacher. Each article was read, discussed and changed as needed.
The men met again the following evening at the home of J.S. Schow and voted to name the church Grace Lutheran. Again they discussed each article, made some amendments, adopted the constitution and declared their intentions to sign the document. The date was January 29, 1930.
The WWII pilots and petroleum of the 1940s brought about a substantial increase in membership, and in 1947 the congregation built its first church on the corner of Wall and J Streets. Continued growth brought about the building of the present church in 1969 followed by the expansion in 1998. Futher expansions of our campus occured in 2012 and 2016.
Since September 2000 Grace is served by its ninth resident pastor, Reverend Robert J. Pase. He became Senior Pastor in July 2017 for that is when the Reverend Phillip Allman was ordained and installed as Associate Pastor of Children, Youth and Famiy Life Ministry.
Throughout 2020, with three special events, Grace celebrated 90 years, under the theme: Looking to Jesus: 90 Years of Grace. Hebrews 12:2 was the theme verse. To aid the beauty and the sound in the sanctuary the congregation had a wood floor installed in the chancel. This was the congregational gift for 90 years of Grace.
LCMSMissionToday, the LCMS has more than 2.3 million baptized members in some 6,200 congregations and more than 9,000 pastors. Two seminaries and 10 colleges and universities operate under the auspices of the LCMS, and its congregations operate the largest Protestant parochial school system in America. The church broadcasts the saving message of Jesus Christ over KFUO Radio, and it has relationships and active mission work in nearly 90 countries around the world.
Please visit the Main LCMS Website for more details on our Mission, our Practices, our Faith, and how to Study and Serve.